Saturday, January 12, 2008

Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome and Pregnancy

After the dreadful experiences, I became very interested with RPL or recurrent pregnancy loss. I read a lot of articles online; I went several website and forum sites that tackle miscarriages. I have read a LOT that sometimes doctors do not fascinate me anymore but of course I could not match their expertise. If I had continued seeing my doctor, she wanted me to get an APAS test.

APAS or antiphospholipid syndrome is a disorder of the immune system that is characterized by excessive clotting of blood and/or certain complications of pregnancy (premature miscarriages, unexplained fetal death, or premature birth) and the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies (cardiolipin or lupus anticoagulant antibodies) in the blood. Patients with antiphospholipid syndrome have developed abnormal symptoms while having antiphospholipid antibodies that are detectable with blood testing. (http://www.medicinenet.com/antiphospholipid_syndrome/article.htm)

In Layman's terms, the blood is sticky which makes it prone to blood clotting. In pregnancy, a blood clot could be formed in the placenta and starves the baby in nutrition.

APAS is an expensive disorder. According to my doctor, this what a very famous singer-actress had before she had her two daughters. She paid 3M for the treatment (maybe because she is what she is) but normally it is around 1M for the treatment (according to my doctor). In the 90's , when the facility for testing was not yet that accessible, you have to pay about $1000 for a testing which is only about $100 nowadays. Treatment would include aspirin and shots of heparin.

And because I love reading and surfing the web, I stumbled upon a website when I was researching about OMEGA 3 Fatty acids, that this could actually help with APAS positive people specifically women who wish to conceive. My doctor also told me a successful pregnancy with her APAS positive patient, who she maintained with aspirin, Omega 3 fatty acid and folic acid all through out the pregnancy.

Infertility can be caused by APAS too. So talk to your doctor about this.

Being reproductively challenged is very time consuming and pocket breaker. The tests and treatments are expensive. Im just lucky that I got ways to earn extra income. Read more about earning extra moolahs here.

15 comments:

Milky_Way said...

Hi ivy, I'am also taking EPA and DHA together with my pre natal vitamins. Its an Omega 4 fish oil supplement :)

ivy said...

Hey Milky! I heard so many good things about fish oil supplement. An american told me about this months ago. To make sure you are getting a genuine fish oil, poke the capsule and pour the contents in a shot glass perhaps then put it in a freezer. If it freezes, then that is no good for you. It should still be moist. The best one comes from North America.

Smells fishy nga lang. hehehe!

Milky_Way said...

hey, thanks for the tip :) but the thing is the one that i'm taking is gel like. i bought it from healthy options :)

janelle said...

Hi Ivy! I also had a miscarriage and was later diagnosed with APAS. I suggest you get the APAS test very soon so your doctor can prescribe you the necessary meds. I'm now 16 weeks on the family way. You just need to have an excellent Perinatologist/Sonologist/OB and a Reproductive Immunologist. Good luck!

Flashtrigger said...

I was diagnosed with APS in 2005 after 4 miscarriages and a little boy (Gabriel) who died within minutes of his birth. I went on to have TIAs and a stroke after that until in 2007 I was put on Coumadin.
I hope sincerely things go well for you, and that you keep up on your doctors. You can't ask enough questions, you can't be too vigilant. Don't be afraid of natural and homeopathic remedies either; I agree that fish oils are amazing and would have kept on that had it worked well enough for me.
As for the site www.aps.org, it's awesome and so are all those subscribed to the forum. They have a weekly online chat on Wednesday nights if it's something you're interested in.
All the best,
Bruyere

Anonymous said...

Hello!!! wewantbabies.blogspot.com is one of the best informational websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. All the best.

Anonymous said...

The author of wewantbabies.blogspot.com has written an excellent article. You have made your point and there is not much to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not argue with: The best truths invariably come from the sides of mugs that you never remember purchasing. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Your Ad Here